Our friends, the Sylilans

From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:03:25 -0800 (PST)

Folks -

Thanks for all of your responses... apologies to everyone for whom this is a rathole.

|Theo posts:
|>Also in G:IttHW:
|>oeDarjinians… are found in the Satrapies of
Darjiin,
|>Doblian, Sylila, and Kostaddi.”

God, that looks terrible... don't know why the font messed up so badly.

|>* Jillaro has about 40k inhabitants.
|
|Maximum is around 20k for a large city.

Missed that part of G:CotHW! This was also confirmed by Jeff... Thanks to both.

Me:
|>* The religious breakdown would follow similar
lines:
|>40% ‘safe(tm) orlanthi, 15% Darjiini, 10%
Yelmite, 35%
|>Lunar (mostly Rufelza and Hwarin Dalthippa with some

|>other lunars).

Martin:
|Very
|few Rufelza, Hwarin is a small cult, but certainly
7Ms and the
|other Lunar
|classic cults, the rest seems about right.

Interesting... I had thought that Rufelza was the 'popular' face of the empire inside. What else would the mob - for lack of better term - worship? Deezola, perhaps Teelo Nori?

Jeff later says:

|Hwarin Dalthippa is also widely worshipped.

I'll let the two of you fight it out...

Martin again:
|Agreed! Don't forget that Sylila was a bulwark
against Sheng
|and has strong
|defences and a military history second to none. The
city has
|a large river
|port and a strong naval squadron is based there. The
sylilan
|army is very
|powerful and the Satraps can project power into many
areas,
|particularly the
|Provinces and Talastar. It is a hub city with a
proud culture.

So, question for you: what sort of force size are we talking about here? We've discussed earlier in this list that the imperial forces are about 1% of the population. Are the provincial forces in addition to that?

Or, to phrase it another way: the population of Sylila is 800k or so. Separately you've told me that there are about 5400 imperial troops in Sylila. Would the Satrap's army be in addition to that, and if so, how large would it be?

Jeff has some great comments about this history and culture of Jillaro. Thanks!

One question. Jeff says:
|I think that Jillaro is culturally dominated by the
"Lunar"
|groups.

and:
|world) was populated by immigrants from the Pelorian
Heartlands, whose
|decendents probably make up the majority of the
city's
|population.

So would these then be the benighted 'Pelorians'? Or Dara Happans? Or a mix? sorry for my ignorance.

Jeff also says:
|As for "Orlanthi" - the Syllilings are not
Heortlings. Their
|ancient name
|for themselves is the Odaylings,

Whereas Peter says:
|Replace Heortling with Alakoring.

Are Alakoring and Odayling synonomous?

|I don't know much about the Eel-Oriash clan

Is this the Satrap family? If so, any information would be helpful.

On to Peter:
|That's correct, although the Patron is obliged (IMO -

|just like in the Roman model) to help out with a
client's
|personal problems from time to time.

Perfect. Thanks.

|>* Logicians (btw, where can I find more about
these?)

|They are mentioned in the Glorantha Intro p114.
Fuller
|information is given in the Entekosiad:

Thanks for the info, peter. In HW terms, then, they're sorcerors, with grimoires that focus on what you've discussed?

Does anyone have a RQ or HW writeup for the logicians?

thanks for all the help, everyone!

Theo

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. http://shopping.yahoo.com/