Tarkalor Trollkiller

From: Douglas Seay <douglas.seay_at_marconi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:57:25 -0500

Howdy,

I've been looking into the Kultaini tribe lately (I'm interested in how the players handle the tribe being broken up). One thing that has gotten my interest has been Tarkalor before he became Prince of Sartar and King of Dragon Pass. He seems to have been the leader of a warband that kicked a lot of troll (Kitori) butt. Was his motivation simply that they were available enemies? Does he have a particular hatred of Trolls? Does he have any ties with the Wilmskirk Confederation? Since the Kitori were mostly in the Holy Country, is there some anti-Pharoah motivation here?

One thing that Joerg and I wondered about was who raised Tarkalor? Is there any chance that he was fostered/grew up in the Wilmskirk area? Are there any interesting snippets about his background? Does anyone have any thoughts, or pointers to cannonical sources. Please, keep the OOP references to a minimum.

I'm wondering because I'm thinking about a group of Kultaini that specialize in fighting trolls. Perhaps Tarkalor would have led them, perhaps they merely allied themselves with a successful leader. Perhaps he even founded the group. I haven't gotten that far yet.

This brings up a secondary question: how long before a person can get a subcult? If Tarkalor founded, or redefined, this group of anti-troll warriors, could there be a Tarkalor Trollkiller subcult of some god (OA or Orlanth the Warrior?). Even if most of this group got killed with Tarkalor at Grizzley Peak, some may have survived (boys then, now old men) and could have had first hand knowledge of him. Would this help or hurt? Could he be HeroFormed? Any idea what feat(s) it would offer?

Also, would it be reasonable for that cult/warband to be "Kultain only", or would it be more reasonable for a "foreign legion" type group? Or perhaps "Kultain/Locaem only" as they seem to work together, and both could easily hate Trolls.