Spear and pike formations

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:31:31 -0500

> I suppose it is possible that a well

trained unit might hold the spear at different places along the shaft depending on which rank they were presently in which would have a similar effect.

I've seen pikemen shown as doing just this when preparing to receive a charge. The front four ranks have levelled pikes, while the rear ranks hold theirs vertically. The first two ranks are shown crouched down with their pikes angled upwards, while the third and fourth ranks hold their pikes at different levels. The result is that all four points are held in the same vertical line but at different heights.

I don't have a note of the source for this picture. Anyone seen such a setup mentioned in a drillbook?

Andrew