Re: Pikework

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:25:17 -0800

The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:31:31 -0500
> From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: Spear and pike formations
>
> I've seen pikemen shown as doing just this when preparing to receive a
> charge. The front four ranks have levelled pikes, while the rear ranks
> hold theirs vertically. The first two ranks are shown crouched down with
> their pikes angled upwards, while the third and fourth ranks hold their
> pikes at different levels. The result is that all four points are held in
> the same vertical line but at different heights.
>
> I don't have a note of the source for this picture. Anyone seen such a
> setup mentioned in a drillbook?

I have a book published by the Canadian National Museum (or was the National War Museum...) that is about their exhibit on Chivalry (all right, it was a christmas present). There is a photo of an exhibit showing swiss pikemen doing exactly what you described.

Wesley

:::
:::  Glorantha Site: www.bvcompuworks.com/wesley
:::  New this week:
:::       - Part III of our PargAddi Campaign.
:::       - Summary of the Modern Imperial Calendar
:::       - A new myth by Mark Galeotti
:::