Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #229

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:59:59 -0600

> From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
> Subject: Ok, we'll talk about Fighting Experience (Long)

    An excellent summary of SCA fighting.

> (*4) Origin of the word "decimated," the point when most units turn and flee.
> I suppose SCA "bravery" could be likened to Gloranthan morale magic, wyters,
> etc.

    I have to correct you here. The term 'decimate' comes from the Roman military practice of punishing a unit (for cowardace or some similar gross misconduct) by executing every tenth man in the unit.

    In many ways, the SCA's battle experience has been badly skewed from the 'real world' experience by the fact that most large battles have some sort of resurrection system by which the 'dead' fighters can return to the battle. As a result there's little incentive to hold units in reserve, and absolutely none to retreat. I've been discussing with people in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) having a war-style event in which there is no resurrrection and any 'lost limbs' are carried over from one battle to the next. The real problem is how to get the fighters to go for it.

Andrew E. Larsen