Languages in HW

From: Alain RAMEAU <alain.rameau_at_totalfinaelf.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2001 16:54:55 +0100

This post is between rules and background.

As I understand it, HW decided to drop all "Speak own language" kind of skills, because a Hero should be capable of speaking fluently his own tongue. OK for me. However, is "Read/write" still a valid skill, for the same reason : I guess a Hero should be able to read/write his mother tongue, except if the player decides to take a flaw ? To say it another way, is the RW distinction between speak and read/write still a valid distinction in a world like Glorantha where magic is everywhere and can help learning languages easily ?

In the same idea, I think the "Culture" skill should include the relevant speak language (and read/write ?) ability as well, as a culture is defined by a language (not only, but it is a major element IMO), and knowing the language is essential to understand well a culture ?

Any opinions ?

Alain.