Ernalda The Sensual

From: Coridan <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 00:20:21 -0000

I just got done reading Thunder Rebels. Absolutely superb. I *love* all those subcults!

I feel that no one owns Ernalda's sexuality, not even her many husbands. I would assume that
before marraige, Heortling women can sleep with whomever they want, and that Ernalda
has a number of stories of various wanton affairs that equal those of her husband and best lover,
Orlanth. I'm not exactly sure what the rules for Heortling women are in regards to having lovers
once in marraige, but I'm sure that the social restrictions that do apply are distinct so as to
preserve the family and the happiness of the married couple. From my understanding,
adultery is also a severe crime for Orlanthi of either sex, but I'm not sure of this exactly means
in regards to the common c21st conception of it, or the actual stipulations detailed in the
type of marraige bond that an Orlanthi couple share. As marraige and child rearing
have much to do with Orlanthi customs in regards to inheritance and clan structure, I'm sure it
would all be important.

Depending on which Heortling region is talked about, I'm sure there are tales of Ernalda or her daughters in her youth where she teases, flirts, wooes and is wooed, and is the object of desire and adoration of many male gods. I can even see a whole body of myth that surrounds Ernalda and Dendara. Although in the Hero Wars scheme Dendara is now "simply" Yelm's wife and not Ernalda's sister nor an Earth Goddess, I can see a series of myths based on how Dendara is the wife that is best for Yelm, but that Ernalda is the one he always wanted. Of course, this is why Ernalda is called to be
a concubine in the solar court. When Orlanth arrives, the young storm god wins the Earth Queen's heart,
and it's as much for this reason that Orlanth is repressed by Yelm in his jealousy as for other reasons.
This can turn the whole slaying of Yelm as a vicious romance-tragedy cycle, in which cunning Ernalda
plots and schemes to use Orlanth as her cat's paw initially to win her freedom from cruel Yelm.
Thus, it is Ernalda who is responsible for Yelm's death, not Orlanth, who is a mere patsy,
according to one view.

More charitably, it makes sense that there would be an aspect of Ernalda that would bless secret romance, affairs,seduction, love against all odds, and on a darker note, sexual manipulation. This perhaps could be a subcult orinvoked hero cult for Heortling women who want to catch that perfect man or simply carry on and be the object of desire for all the nearby men. Of course, the proper social role would be for unmarried women, and I see as part of such a subcult's teachings a strong run of morality, since breaking hearts can start feuds and destroy families. Such a cult or heroine would be passion and sensuality used for all the right reasons in Heortling myth, and is an aspect of Ernalda that needs to be explored.

In any case, time to back away from subject drift :) Any Digest ideas for an "Ernalda The Love Goddess" ?

Chris Bell
argrath_at_agoron.com
coridan_at_shai-net.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #283