Non-Heortlings

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:30:30 +0000 (GMT)

Jerome:
>But it's just cheap thoughts because i really don't
know if
>'non-Heortlings' exist.

TR has cleared up some of this material, and is probably the best source for what is known. However the key points I know of are:

Orlanthi culture exists in: Maniria, Ralios, Fronela and Umathela.

Most official information (particularly TR) relates to Maniria.

Within Maniria we have three important cultural heroes:

Vingkot: The First King.
Heort: Great Darkness and Silver Age hero who restores Orlanthi culture.
Alakoring: Opposes Draconic power and reforms social institutions.

The terms Alakoring and Heortling can be somewhat confusing. Both the Orlanthi of Kerofinela and the Orlanthi of northwest of the Pass seem to have been influenced by both Heort and Alakoring, but by the latter to different degrees. The northwestern Orlanthi now call themselves Alakoring, but the Kerofinelans still call themselves Heortling.

The Esrolians split off from the Vingkotlings following the Helm and Sword War. They are not 'Heortlings', though Heort and IFoughtWeWon are known to them and their culture is similar.

(see also http://www.glorantha.com/new/q-and-a.html for more on Esrolians and their simalarities to Heortling culture).

Harandings: The Harandings (KoS and TR(?)) are Orlanthi who do not follow Vingkot. Thus they are non-Vingkotling Orlanthi. They become the Wenelian Orlanthi and some of them are transplanted to Umathela where they provide ingredients for that culture. Most (not out of print) info is in in GIttHW (Orlanth is represented a boar, and have a relation to the boar hsunchen peoples of the area) or KoS (they are the losers at Arrowmound).

Outside Manria I become more vague, David Dunham or Peter Metcalfe (or Greg) will know more.

Ian

Do You Yahoo!?