Vadeli, Nysalor

From: Stephen Tempest <stephen_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:38:18 GMT

Greg Stafford:

>Except among the Orange Guild, I do not see the Vadeli as having any real
>political power anywhere. They had their day, were busted and now are
>totally mistrusted by everyone.

Where can I find more information on the Vadeli, if anywhere? I've seen Glorantha: IttHW and Missing Lands, but they pose more questions than they answer. (possibly deliberately <g>). Are they human, a separate Elder Race, or a race of demigods like the Luatha? How many of them are there - a handful of survivors clinging to some tiny islands in the Western Ocean, or a nation powerful enough to colonise the Jrusteli Islands and briefly dominate the whole Pamaltelan coast? All the references to them practicing evil sorcery, cannibalism, incest, etc seem to me to be subjective views from outside, the kind of slanders their enemies might say about them; but are they the objective truth?

Peter Metcalfe:

>The aim of the God Project was not to create a God of Light nor
>did the Uz withdraw because of that reason.

Interesting. Did the Dara Happans and Aldryami hijack the project after the others left, and make Nysalor a god of Light when he wasn't one before?

Or, since Osentalka was meant to be the Perfect One, the god for everybody, did he only express himself as a God of Light because that's what his worshippers wanted? If the Uz had stayed on the Council and the Dara Happans left, would he have appeared to have the Darkness Rune?

(You could argue that he *did* have the Darkness rune - or at least, the half of him that was incarnated in Brithos rather than in Dorastor soon demonstrated his mastery of it. Or am I stretching things too far?)

Alternatively, is Nysalor an aspect of Sedenya, and therefore a son (daughter) of Yelm? Or did the Red Goddess meet/conquer/study from/marry/whatever Rashoran, rather than discover that she _was_ Rashoran?

Stephen