Re: Kinslaying

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_yahoo.se>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:26:18 +0100 (CET)

Andrew Larsen:

> In my campaign, some bad guys tricked one
> of the Orlanthi PCs into committing a
> kinslaying during a heroquest.

Tales of the Reaching Moon #18 says the following about the founding of the Lismelder tribe:

     "Lismelder broke with her father as a
     result of legal case against her own
     brother over the murder of her husband.
     Mad-Dog Malan [her father] refused to
     rule in the case, and civil war was
     threatened until her Lawspeaker,
     Alvar the Humourless, suggested the
     solution. "
             -- TotRM #18, p 9

Perhaps renouncing your family ties, and starting a new clan, might be a solution to the problem. The new clan could then pay weregild to the old clan. It probably can't fix everything immediately, but might be a workable solution in the long run. I.e. if the offending hero can find enough supporters to found a new small clan.

Anyway, if this unfortunate event happened in my game, the kinslaying and its consequences would become a major theme in the campaign for a long time. I would use it to trigger some very tragic events of epic proportions.
The tale of Balin and Balan of Arthurian legend, comes to mind.

/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?
Ditt_namn_at_yahoo.se - skaffa en gratis mailadress på http://mail.yahoo.se

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #311