Uleria

From: Stephen Tempest <stephen_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:06:25 GMT

Andrew Larsen:

> Quite honestly, I think the reference in TR to Uleria being a demon is
>less persuasive than simply silly.

Put it this way: how many fire-and-brimstone preachers in real-world Western Christian society have denounced prostitutes as servants of the Devil, and proclaimed that those who visit them are endangering their immortal souls? Plenty, I imagine. Yet there are still lots of prostitutes around in our society, and they don't lack for business.

Similarly, I can imagine traditionalist Heortling clan chieftains denouncing Uleria as a demon; and the average Sartarite might nod wisely and think "nice to see someone's still upholding the old values", then promptly forget that as they go off to make their regular visit to the local Uleria priestess.

Incidentally: Heortlings are not allowed to marry members of their own clan, correct? Does the same prohibition apply to non-marital sex? If it does, then having a casual affair with anybody from the same village as you will count as incest. The only way for young Orlanthi to indulge in sexual experimentation will be to sneak off to another clan's tula - 20 miles away. In such a situation, Uleria cultists might have a major social role to play, especially if as worshippers of a "demon" they are treated as beyond the laws of kin, like Tricksters, and sleeping with one doesn't count as incest...

Stephen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #332