re: islamic glorantha

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:39:10 +0100

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
> Religeous Terms. (I found some similarity between Japanese Emperors and
> Samurai Shogunates.) Their Immigrants (and conquest) to Asia Minor of
> Byzantine Empire was a factor of Europian Crusades to Levant.

I think that oriental societies developed despotism in a rather different way to that which developed in the west. Some have argued that the influence of "oriental despotism" influenced the governmental/religious philisophies Rome and the like - the eventual deification of the Emperor and so forth, and that the middle eastern/persian landscape provides the context for this interchange. Also, we tend to underestimate the extent of international travel and awareness IMO - by the time the Mongols had control of Turkey, they also had large territories in China. IIRC, Mongol overlords attempted to introduce Chinese-style paper currency in Persia, but it didnt take off; the Mongols/Sheng provide the conduit for cultural interaction and discovery.

> I like this analogy, except that existing Gloranthan history presents
> the first Lunars as a motley crew of Dara Happan rebels and rogue
> Carmanians, putting together a convoluted and over-civilised
> conspiracy in the back room of a hotel - rather than a group of

Which kinda presents the Communism parallel. But I feel there is sufficient confuision as to how we look at the Lunars that probably one version should be adopted for consistency sake.

> By the way, given that most of the Lunar characters in the game so far have
> had Roman-inspired names, it does seeem a bit late to engage in renaming > them all in Arabic.

No, not all of them. A sa newcomer to Glorantha, the fact that lunars were so,etimes given roman-sounding names and sometimes arabic-soundiong names was rather confusing. Again, I feel picking one for consistency would be a good move.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2654.59">
<TITLE>re: islamic glorantha</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Religeous Terms. (I found some similarity =
between Japanese Emperors and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Samurai Shogunates.) Their Immigrants (and =
conquest) to Asia Minor of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Byzantine Empire was a factor of Europian =
Crusades to Levant.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I think that oriental societies developed despotism =
in a rather different way to that which developed in the west.&nbsp; = Some have argued that the influence of &quot;oriental despotism&quot; = influenced the governmental/religious philisophies Rome and the like - = the eventual deification of the Emperor and so forth, and that the = middle eastern/persian landscape provides the context for this = interchange.&nbsp; Also, we tend to underestimate the extent of = international travel and awareness IMO - by the time the Mongols had = control of Turkey, they also had large territories in China.&nbsp; = IIRC, Mongol overlords attempted to introduce Chinese-style paper = currency in Persia, but it didnt take off; the Mongols/Sheng provide = the conduit for cultural interaction and discovery.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I like this analogy, except that existing =
Gloranthan history presents</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the first Lunars as a motley crew of Dara =
Happan rebels and rogue</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Carmanians, putting together a convoluted and =
over-civilised</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; conspiracy in the back room of a hotel - rather =
than a group of</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Which kinda presents the Communism parallel.&nbsp; =
But I feel there is sufficient confuision as to how we look at the = Lunars that probably one version should be adopted for consistency = sake.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; By the way, given that most of the Lunar =
characters in the game so far have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; had Roman-inspired names, it does seeem a bit =
late to engage in renaming</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; them all in Arabic. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>No, not all of them.&nbsp; A sa newcomer to =
Glorantha, the fact that lunars were so,etimes given roman-sounding = names and sometimes arabic-soundiong names was rather confusing.&nbsp; = Again, I feel picking one for consistency would be a good = move.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0F031.2936B9D0--

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #424