Re: Stars

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:59:00 +0100 (BST)

Jerome Blondel raises something of an old chestnut, of position-fixing, but in a celestiological manner, of which I can only approve... ;-)

> Is it possible to find your position by the stars on the seas of Glorantha?

Not by triangulation, IMO. You can, though, find north (etc), by a variety of methods.

> Glorantha is flat (except for that slant in the middle)

Yep.

> but on the other hand the sky dome is at a finite distance.

Nope. ;-) Its distance is "immeasurably large", materialistically, or "in the Sky World", for theists.

> So does the Pole Star move
> southward when you go north, and northward when you go south?

No. But it apparently does move seasonally, somewhat (as implied by Elder Secrets, and rather contrary to GRAY). (Greg gregs Greg gregs Greg, to be unduly unkind.)

Cheers,
Alex.