The Uz vs Humakt

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:24:57 -0500

Julian Lord says:

>I don't believe that the troll gods transcend the Worlds in the same way that
>Humakt does. I agree that the Uz exist in both the Inner World and the Under
>Worlld, but I don't see this as being any different from a
>Human's normal presence in both the Inner World and one or other of the Higher
>Realms. Apart from the direction, of course.
>
>Humakt OTOH has a presence in both the God world and the Under world, and also
>exists as the sharp dividing line between the two (IMO).

        I think you're off base here -- Humakt is a special case in the sense that He is neither in the World, the Underworld, or the Other Worlds, but between them. I think he can be called into any of them (by Heroquests, chiefly), but this puts a strain on everything around it. Humakt is the door; he's not "in" any room.

        The Uz deities, meanwhile, live in the Underworld, where things are not as differentiated. Thus a Kygor Litor worshipper can approach Her from many angles -- gaining Theist, Sorcerous, or Animist (maybe Mystic, too) powers based on the worshipper's understanding. When you call on a Darkness "spirit," what you get depends on how you called, not what the "spirit" is. Some Darkness forces may be "fixed" in form, being only an Essence, Spirit, or Daimon, but most are very malliable by nature. I suppose very advanced followers of Kygor Litor can learn "cross-platform" powers like the Urox/Storm Bull followers, but I'm not sure. In contrast, Humakt is definitely a Theist deity and an Orlanthi one at that -- the Dara Happa don't recognize Him, and they still die. So Humakt is Death only as far as he is worshipped; while KL is the Ancestress of the Uz no matter what world or culture that Uz lives in.

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #489