Celestial Court

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:49:14 +1200

Simon Bray:

>To whose mythology does the Celestial Court belong anyway? The
>Orlanthi? The Empire? More likely the God Learners, there is
>certainly no reference as I have seen to the Celestial Court
>amongst southern or eastern cultures.

The Council of Pairs with the standard names (Acos, Uleria etc) are listed in the Orlanthi Creation myth (KoS p64). From the other Heortling myths, the outline of the council is still there, but it looks as though the source of the Orlanthi Creation myth is non-Heortling. Possible suspects are Dorastor or the Holy Country.

I don't think the court was an invention of the God Learners because some of the named deities have left traces in Heortling lands: Larnste for the Table, the Print and the Travelling Stone, Kargan (Tor) as a subcult of Humakt, Harana Ilor and Umath's Harp (the making of which I think takes place on Kordros Isle - - cf Dueling Island KoS p61 and Duelfield KoS p122).

The only known foreign deity is Uleria but her origins are unknown (her displacal of Kassa, Entekosiad p4 indicates she's not native to Peloria either).