Vingan Clans

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_pheasnt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:51:08 +0100

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:45:08 -0700, Peter Larsen wrote:

> Well, it doesn't seem likely, as there seem to be no clans,
>tribes, or cultures that rely (fairly) exclusively on Vinga. We know
>Ernalda, Orlanth, Heler, Yelm, Shargash, and the Red Goddess can
>provide that core for a society; others remain open to debate.
>Assuming of course that my definition is anything close to the truth.
> I guess the question is: could Vinga annex those functions of
>Orlanth, if Orlanth wasn't around (say in Tarsh or Saird)? Are there
>Vinga dominant clans in those areas? Can Vinga be the consort of
>Ernalda? Could she partner with Heler or Elmal and Ernalda somehow?
>If not, she an't be a great god, by my scale anyway.

My gut feeling is that there can't be any Vingan clans out of pure pragmatism. If the clan is dominated by women who put aside their sexuality (or at least roles as mothers) in favour of fighting, then where does the next generation come from?

There are of course clans which turn to Vinga in crisis, but that's surely just for the crisis. There are clans where Vinga is the dominant Thunderbrother, but I don't think it's sustainable to have a clan were Vinga is the default female religion. At least not without Nandan's birthing aspect...

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #501