Great Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:03:49 +1200

Peter Larsen:

>Me>The Orlanth cult writeup in Thunder Rebels still takes the view
> >that Orlanth's existence is a cosmological necessity.

>Well, Thunder Rebels is pretty much a Heortling document; I
>have no doubt that they think that Orlanth is a cosmological
>necessity.

But the statement which describes Orlanth as cosmologically necessary is _not_ a Heortling view.

>But how much of Air is Orlanth?

All of it.

> >Yeah, but even the Pelorians recognize that the Storm Barbarians
> >have greater mastery over the aerial element than their own
> >storm gods. They will dispute my cosmological reason for this,
> >but they still recognize it.

>But they are working to change it; clearly, the Lunars think
>that Orlanth can be replaced. It may be true now, but, if the Lunars
>have their way, it won't be in the future.

Even if the Lunars think what you say they do (they don't), they _cannot_ have their way simply because the Cosmic order can't be changed.

> >The Pelorians do not die without Humakt and he is acknowledged
> >in their pantheon as "Urnbudud" (GRAY p56).

>Was Urnbudud killed by Shargash?

That makes as much sense as asking whether Humakt killed Death.

> >When Yelm was "erased", the sun did go out. Even though Elmal
> >still lived, he was a much weaker entity compared to what had
> >gone before.

>I thought that was because Elmal was wounded again and again
>defending the Storm Tribe from bad things.

That's the Storm Tribe PoV. I'm talking cosmology.

>Even when Yelm was taken to be the Evil Emperor, Yelm and
>Elmal remain separate.

That's correct. Elmal is not Yelm even though Yelm is the Great God of Elmal's element. This is no different from Urox not being Orlanth even though Orlanth is the Great God of Urox's element.