Shargash - death

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:38:56 EDT

Alex:
>While Shargash has his own rune, I'd have said that Shargash's
>primary "core rune" association was clearly Death.

Peter:
>Shargash however is both a Great God and not Humakt. Even
>his "death" is not separation and division (ST p90) but
>universal destruction. So I do not believe his core
>nature corresponds to Death.

I agree. Shargash has dissolution as his primary mystical component. He conquered death itself and was aknowledged its superior when he was in the underworld because Lovercraftian sense of the word, even Death may die when the universe no longer exists.

Shargash destroys, even souls, which is not the same thing as the seperation of Humakt. This in many ways brings up the interesting possibility of a link to Zorak Zoran rather than the Storm Gods. The strange thing about ZZ is that he is not actually a troll and has never been seen as one, and his followers in Troll society are considered very odd indeed, apart from the mainstream. Where does ZZ come from? His capacity for destruction and the conquest of death seems similar to that of some aspects of Shargash. ZZ is more limited as a deity perhaps. This ties in to the link created by Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold. ZZ and Shargash both killed a solar deity and the region is suspiciously close to Alkoth.

Martin Laurie

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #515