Re: Orlanthi

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:49:28 -0700

As part of the all-Peter Metcalfe digest:

>Unless you seriously think that the latest philosophical speculation
>gets transferred down to the Barntari at the plough, I stand
>by my statement that since the Orlanthi do not engage in
>abstract thought about their religion, it is not required
>to make their storm god more potent.

Well, what else is there to think about, other than the hind end of an ox?

More seriously, medieval people did apparently think about religion. I believe it was the book Montaillou (or another one that Harald Smith recommended) that revealed the rather intricate command of doctrine that peasants had. (Unfortunately, in Montaillou it was the Cathar Heresy, which was the wrong doctrine -- but peasants were willing to die to defend what seem like some pretty minor religious points, of little interest to a farmer.)

I doubt Orlanthi have parties to discuss philosophy, like ancient Athenians did, but I wouldn't discount their ability to reason about one of the most important things in their lives.

David Dunham dunham_at_pensee.com
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein