Re: Other Tales & Thralls

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:22:01 +0100 (BST)

robert darvall:
> Isn't rape Thed? So if the character has raped a thrall guilt will be
> established through an increase in chaos whereas if it was not rape
> there will be no taint & so it will not look like rape. Bring in the
> Uroxi.

This is putting the mythic determinist cart before the horse in a big way, methinks... (I'm sure many a shady defendant has tried to "pull" this one, though. If the place isn't swarming with broo, claim this as evidence of no "chaotic" conduct. If it is, launch a counteraccussation  that someone else has caused this (kinstrife or what have you...)).

> The matter of nicking other clans women & enslaving them may well prove
> more problematic for your hearth mates. Cattle yes but slave raiding
> doesn't feel like it fits the Heortling character. Thraldom seems to
> have more to do with poverty & dispossession than deliberate raiding.

Sounds entirely wrong to me; you're suggesting thralldom is some sort of Heortling poorhouse? That sounds _deeply_ Ungenerous and un-Orlanthi. I think raiding is precisely where the majority of thralls come from (and no, I don't think it's a "popular" practice, in either sense...).

> I would expect serious retaliation, either legal or military or both,
> from those offended. Possibly your clan of slavers could even be quested
> against being forced into the role of the Evil Emperor enslaving
> Ernalda. Bound to make your clan chief a little twitchy.

The phrase "clan of slavers" is rather silly, and seems to be predicated on the assumption that thralldom isn't a recognised institution, which it quite evidently is. Or did you think "Do you take thralls?" on the clan generation was some sort of trick question?

(IIRC KoDP also features an option of enthralling rather than ransoming prisoners from raids and battles.)

My original reason for raising this topic has been rendered somewhat moot, though. Seems our Uroxi's "many sons" all arise from happy wedlock, after all. (The original suggestion apparently was another player's mischievous comment, which the Uroxi's player neglected to deny at the time...)

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #552