Gamara

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:59:05 +0000

Peter Metcalfe:
>>Me>A much better explanation is that Plentonius not knowing who >figure
>>IV-18 was, identified her with Gamara to defame the >horse people
>>
>>So, the Nivorah rune which is her head isn't a Nivorah rune, after all.
>
>That doesn't follow. If Gamara doesn't come from Nivorah, then the figure
>of IV-18 can still be a Nivorah goddess.

That means a goddess was worshipped in Nivorah/Saird with connections that were inacceptable to the Dara Happans even then (that's not too difficult: rebellious tendencies frx), like Jajagapa, who also appears on Row IV and can hardly be mistaken with another god. If Gamara is from Saird, then IV-18 is probably her. She wasn't necessarily a horse goddess when the Wall was made. It's Godtime, gods can conquer new powers.

Some Gamara myth synopsys, told from a local perspective: 'When Emperor Manarlavus came to Nivorah to build his roof, Reladivus lackey of the Emperor said yes, but we said no, we won't let ourselves be encapsulated into your golden prison, and Gamara sided with us, and we prevailed. When the ice came, Reladivus was crushed, but Gamara was changed into a horse and came with us.'

Then she can become a horse-goddess for the horse-people in Dara Happa, an alternative to the Hippoi spirit cult, so that Jenarong builds temples to her and so on. She can still be worshipped today by theist types, though she would be relegated to the borders for the Dara Happans have come up with their own myth since then. Cf. The Unspoken Word #1 p. 37. The Heavenly Ride heroquest suggests she traveled through Saird, Zarkos and then came to Dara Happa where her worshippers spread horsemanship among the nobles (but not the commoners).

Jerome

Téléchargez MSN Explorer gratuitement à l'adresse http://explorer.msn.fr/intl.asp

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #590