Re: Rice

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:14:36 -0800

Peter Metcalfe

> >What sort of mythic connection would go with wild rice in the various
>>regions where available? Not everyday food in Sartar or the Lunar
>>Empire, but common enough around marshes and swamps.
>
> Rice in the Lunar Empire is associated with Everina, one of the
> four great nurturers of Dara Happa and also with Biselensib, a
> peasant goddess around Alkoth.
>
> There's three types of rice, each with their own star: Sweet
> Rice, Fat Rice and Hardy Rice.

Not being North American, Peter may not be aware that wild rice is not in fact a rice at all (and is not the ancestor of normal rice).

Since it's not domesticated, if it exists in Genertela*, I wouldn't expect a Lunar Empire goddess for it -- it'd be fit only for Weeders.

Among the Heortlings, the Lady of the Wild or Overdruva might have some association, but the lack of obvious goddesses associated with edible wild plants certainly helps cement the fact that the Heortlings are not hunter-gatherers.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein