HeroQuesting inside a dragon?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:54:31 +0200

>>>Any Shared World is not really relevant. You have to go thought the
>>>barriers to go from world to world. You can not go from one Otherworld to
>>>another.

>>This seems the oddest one to me. I'm not sure if this imples there is no
>>draconic "other side", or if it means the draconic o/s is part of the
>>inner world, or yet another short world... But then again, it'd be pretty
>>far down my bumper list of things I'd ever expect to be sure of.
>No one goes to the dragon world, if there is one. If there is something
>like one, no one can tell what it is. Even the dragon worshippers who go
>there, if there is one, do not perceive it as a place.

Damn, there goes an idea I had for "how to sit out the Hero Wars":

I wanted to inflict on my players the visit inside the sleeping mind (the non-manifest dream, or whatever - the player characters won't know the difference) of a dragon which formed during the decline of the EWF by the Here-And-Now faction, taking a "vast" population of draconic Heortlings with them into premature dragonhood.

I envisioned this as sort of a Short World, with the original portion of the land mirrored inside. The inhabitants would be both the original late-EWF Heortlings, Sun Domers (contemporaries of the Sun County founders) and others, and their descendants. Some sort of dinotopia, perhaps some drain to a transcendant nexus which slowly but constantly makes them fade or dilute, but taken upside down by the arrival of first scouts, later refugees from the disaster-ridden Inner World. Lots of wonders of the EWF would be there, lots of opportunities to get lost in wonder.

Basically, this draws on the Irish legends of Hy Braseal for a plot-line. The emigrees (and to be nasty, I'd demand them to be a full elemental and even worlds set following the guidelines of the Grand EWF Dragon or the Sixths of Belintar the Harshax) would have to face the temptation of becoming transcendants or retain their identity and return after the worst of the catastrophe (s) has gone.

Every now and then, some may venture forth and get into whichever bigger mess Argrath and contemporaries manage to conjure, and they might even rescue others into their shelter. Will they manage to make it back before their dragon home joins the Cosmic Dragon? Will they emerge too soon?