RE: Slang for Germans

From: Edward G McDonald <EGM_at_Trinity-Group.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:47:17 +0100

"giles_hill_at_btopenworld.com" wrote:
Subject: Slang for Germans

>In the army Germans have become know as "Stills". This is due to the fact
that soldiers are not >allowed to call our hosts Boche, Krauts etc but they 'still' are boche, krauts etc,etc.

>slang terms or derogatory terms for nations are frequently very obtuse :-)

A former army major who works for me tells me this comes from the Falklands. After the Falklands were liberated the troops there started calling the locals "Bennies" after the Crossroads (an old British soap opera) character of the same name. Not surprisingly, the Falkland Islanders objected and the troops were told to desist. They then became "Stills" because they were "Still Bennies".

Cheers,

Edward G McDonald
Director
For and on behalf of Trinity Group Limited Tel: +44-(0)20-7491-7555
www.trinity-group.co.uk