Re: fun with racism

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:25:40 +0200

I'm absolutely stunned at the amount of response to this.

>Boche from the French slang alboche, which was two words
>allemand (German) and caboche (pate, head) put together.

>Kraut comes from Sauerkraut (chopped cabbage), being part of
>the German diet. Boche surprisingly is also related to cabbages. It
>comes from a cross between Allemand (Fr: German) and Caboche
>(Fr Dia: Cabbage, Blockhead). The resulting word Alboche was
>shortened to Boche.

Wow. More than I want to know. And here I was calling them things like "co-workers" and "gaming companions". The reason why I don't get "kraut" is because the people around here don't eat sauerkraut. I guess it's a southern thing, but people up here don't consider people down there human, and so don't mention their food.

>pointing at the fanlight (or small window or ceiling
>fan) and asking "was ist das?" (what is that?). This must have
>happened quite a lot for the french now call such objects "vasistas".

This is great. This sort of thing could apply to many different things, the Sartarite word for soap, for instance.

>"Foot" being close to the French Word "Foutre" (fuck)
>and an archaic spelling of gown "coun" being similar to the French
>"Con" (literally cunt but better translated as twat). Which is why
>Princess Katherine has to have a lie-down after her English Lessons
>in Shakespeare's Henry V...

Uhh. Like I said, more than I want to know. Absolutely fasinating.

>Sorry, but I suppose you all have equally ludicrous
>nicknames for us italians (Spaghetti etc.).

How bout some names for Irish?

>Going wildly OT, but maybe you can name the Lunars
>according to their diet-habits, provided you know them.

Or if you think you know them. People here think Turks eat lots of garlic. I haven't noticed this being true, but it's the thought that counts, I guess.

>Daniel "Bastard" Fahey:

I also respond to You Bastard, "you" being the Praxian equivalent of "mister".

>the Japanese also referred to europeans as "butter-stinking".

Pretty reasonable to refer to people who rarely wash as stinking.

>I can think of at last a dozen of other words to name our german friends...

I can think of more, (many being derogatory), but I have a distinct advantage here.

>No offense for anyone, I hope. This is history now.

History for you, everyday life for me...

On the other hand I've just met the most lovely Polish girl...

Is there anyone who hasn't yet contributed to this topic? Shall we start a new email list for this?

As we've degenerated this far I'll ask the question which has been eating me since my early childhood. Apparently my Grandfather (who was valiantly wounded when he fell off a moving ammunition casson while drunk and received a life-long pension for this) brought back a song from the Great War.
I guess my Father was too young to pick it all up before my Grandfather forgot it, but it includes the lines:
"The French they are a funny race, they fight with their feet and they..."

Does anyone recognize this? I've been dying to hear the rest for 35 years now.

>I'm informed that the hoary "which is the third member of the Two-
>Legged Alliance" thread is considered officially as "one for the
>Narrators". Which makes it GD fodder !! :

Exactly!

>I don't really like the idea that the Moros accuse most humans of
>cheating, without an actual example of cheating by humans.

My Morokanth friends say that all cases of humans winning are examples of humans cheating. They also cite humans who can speak as further proof.

Daniel

End of Glorantha Digest