The GTA

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 01:17:22 +0800

At 5:56 PM +0800 5/7/02, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:
>For those that
>are after the additional material, it is much more fair that there is
>a publicly known "transparent" mechanism to gain access to this stuff
>rather than the alternative of secret handshakes and old-boys
>networks. I have paid for a hero-level membership so I may have an
>axe to grind here ;-)

        I don't know about fair. I was only ever a mid-league member of the secret handshake system, and I am only a GTA initiate, so I am relatively unbiased - but the secret handshake system rewarded enthusiasm and creativity somewhat. The GTA system as current does not - in fact it can be rather off putting (and I speak from personal experience) to find that GTA members who have spent more money than you are getting better information about areas you have spent many hours researching and writing about and talking to Issaries about.

        There is nothing at all wrong with the GTA rewarding those who spend the money. Thats what the GTA is for, its a cause we all support, and I was glad to have a way to feel like I supported Issaries.

        But it can seem a bit mercenary, and a bit like an artificial class system.

        We have already seen at the top level of demi-god that the GTA ranks can be used to reward those who contribute with effort and creativity. I think none of us doubt that Sandy and David H. deserve their demi-god status.

	We could extend this idea to lesser ranks and humbler efforts.
	I would feel better about the GTA if GTA membership was used
to reward those who contribute in creativity and effort as well as those who contribute with cash. Initiate membership for people who contribute major bits of work like great scenarios to Issaries, Hero membership for those doing things like keeping zines alive.

        If necessary, restrict the free book benefits to those who pay - that way, such an upgrade would be costing Issaries very little. And its not really costing Issaries much in lost memberships either.

        The only people who might potentially have a legitimate cause for complaint might be those like David Dunham who are already Heroes through financial contribution but deserve to be through heroic effort on things Gloranthan anyway - but I can't see these generous souls complaining if it made the GTA work better overall.

        If the GTA also acknowledged those without the money, but who contribute as they are able, I think it would feel much more like a true roster of supporters of Issaries, be less divisive, and be something that we could all be truly proud to be a member of.

	Cheers
		David (proud to be a charter member of the GTA, but
could be even prouder)