Re: EWF dragon presence

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:17:44 +0100 (BST)

Ian Thomson:

> In your opinions in a big EWF city shortly before and after the
> arising of the Third Council what was the likelihood of encountering
> dragons and their kind?

Bonn Karpach was guarded by a dragon that stayed underwater, other cities had draconic advisors [KoS]. These were not seen as unusual, which would suggest that they were fairly commonplace. Indeed, the author remarks as unusual the fact that Snakepipe Hollow is guarded by a Krjalki army as well as a draconic advisor, his surprise is becuase of the chaos presence, not the draconic one.

I would say that anyone walking through a reasonably large EWF city would be able to see draconic beings, whether dragons, dragonewts or wyrms, but probably would not be able to speak to them or to meet them without a good reason. The fact that they are there does not make them accessible.

> IE would there be dragonewts and a dn temple (like in Old Pavis)?
> Would there be lots of dragon mystics wandering around or just a
> few (as a kind of elite)?

I think the EWF cities would have had dragonwet colonies or temples, much like at Pavis, although very few would actually have had nests with eggs as they are difficult to create. There would be a large number of mystics in the cities, but these would be of differing degrees. Those who had split their tongues/minds would be the majority and would be able to understand OLd Wyrmish and could possibly perform some draconic magic. There would be other mystics who had progressed further along the draconic path and they would tend to keep to themselves, as the elite. The Governors and rulers would be another elite, further along the path, as would those in the Eyrie.

> Would there be any official Dragonewt presence such as an
> embassy?

Almost certainly, the dragonewts would need to communicate with the rulers of the cities and an embassy rings true.

> Lots of people wearing draconic ornamentation (or just a few)?

As a fashion, this would be commonplace, with the normal people trying to look draconic even if they had no draconic abiliites. Many would carry obsidian or bone weapons and ornamentation, others would wear draconic jewellry or clothing.

> I'm trying tog et an overall feel of the draconic presence, whether it
> was overt or low key and how it evidenced

I think that it was not low key. The draconic presence was pervasive and ever present. The militia would include beaked dragonewts, the non-draconic warriors would ride wyverns, dragons would guard cities and mountain approaches, wyrms, magisaurs and dragonewts would advise the courts and oversee certain key tasks. Dinosaurs would perform heavy duty tasks, guided by dragonewt mahouts. Common people would wear draconic clothes and adopt draconic customs. Mystics would adopt draconic thought patterns and use dragon magic. Only the traditional diehards would keep their own dress styles and refuse to cooperate with the dragons.

Simon

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com