Meditating Dragon of Glorantha

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:38:23 +0900

Dear Joerg:

I wrote my "Alakoring Saga" scribble with the image of Volsunga Saga, Niebelungenlied. Highly Symbolic Structure is the charcter of the typical feudal europe literature, IIRC on the contrary of realistic description of Icelandish Saga.

I think it is too clever by half to strictly divert the symbol of "Ring" in the alchemistic term (Ouroboros = Beyond Eternity) for it, so I used Ormsword (which derived from Dunsany's Sacnoth) for the substitute of the Ring which brings unlimited wealth (and power) of Niebelungenlied.

"See what Heort hold in the both of the hands, Armband and Tork! This means he also supports the creed of Third Council and Ouroboros!"

And there is Ana Gor and EWF attempt to replace her with less bloodthirsty existence (ST p.193, Two Mong Dragon and Green Mong Dragonet) but failed.

<<
"O Great mystic of Ting Shui, now is the Time to raise and tell us the Truth."
"No, not yet."

Joerg Baumgartner:

> impressive collection of data, considering you collected it for a single
> purpose. Personally, I've gone a step further and have collected about
> 14000 glorantha-relevant terms so far, with page references. The file is
> still growing, and a database helps finding stuff...

As you know, at the head of list, I wrote: << It seems as a result that I criticized David Dunham's great work for Heroes List for its arbitrariness. So I try to write down more arbitrary list for their greatest enemies...Dragons in other ordinary Fantasy Worlds.>>

> Entry Description (separated by tabulators)
> Amethyst Dragon of Greater Chaos A chaotic, three-headed dragon
> inhabiting Chen Durel, the Kingdom of Ignorance.

> Arangorf The Inner Dragon, Orlanth's mystical experience through the
> Drolgard cult.

She was the speaker of Beast tribe, it means that she is related to a sort of Hsunchens or Serpent Beast Brotherhood (opposed to Yinkin) IMHO.

> Aroka The Blue Dragon which captured the waters. Aroka caused a terrible
> drought, defeating several deities until Orlanth came and succeeded. His
> head is now part of Orlanth's Ring, and his body the constellation
> Draconis Stella. See also Dragon, Blue.

And in TR, Orlanth released it as a Serpent called Oslira, and submerged Solar Empire by it, please see Belintar's Book: Blue Serpent of Sshorga. We know mythology cannot explain everything, and dragons lives such place out of explanation in Greg's world, IMHO.

> Dargabon The storm dragon that invaded the Storm Realm but was defeated
> by Orlanth at Conquest Peak.
> See also Dragon, Black True

About Orlanthi and Dragons. Please read new Unspoken Word Information, there are some interesting stories about EWF, Falling Ruins and Ice Dragon derived from Greg.

> Durvando The Young Dragon

I don't know it.

> Kardalo Kardalo, the Genertelan Dragon, who met Hon-eel in her youth. In
> 1501 it returned briefly to Talastar where it had not raided since
> Honeel's youth. Fortunately, it remained but a short while, then passed
> on to Doblian.
> See also Snake-Whiskered Dragon of Losdolos Angsur.

Surely, I omit Hon-eel and her mysterious Dragon, I think I should add it to my list.

> Fangs: Tiger
> Claws: Snow Leopard
> Soul: Panda Bear

From Anaxial Roster:

> > First, please read Greg's "Dragon Pantheon" article in WWW
> > (Old Wyrm's Footnote). And mediate about the meaning of
> > hidden secret of "War between Giants and Dragons".
>
> Read the Annilla cult in Troll Gods for a partial reply to this.

And it deepened mystery.

> > Outsiders cannot discern the difference between true
> > dragons and false dragons (maybe serpents, failed dragonewts
> > or dragonspawns, failed EWF or Kralori Mystic) of their short
> > time observation.
>
> There are a few easy tests. If it doesn't control the entire magic
> around itself, it is most unlikely a true dragon. That's a simple test
> for transcendence...

And some mystics choose to take a hit for their mystical discipline, others manifest themselves for helping his country men as martial artists. No, I don't think Game Term from HW and HQ explains something the intrigued draconic mystery in Glorantha.

And Greg said a sort of sentence, "Mysticism can be only understandable through experience....."

> > And on the contrary of other Otherworld Entities with Great
> > Power, Dragons don't show weakness (penalty?) inside of
> > Middle World with physical and magical amount of
> > vastness.
>
> Wait a moment: every dragon has a weakness. That's the secret about
> Dragonslaying.

On the contrary of my former sentence, it told about Alien World Penalties in HW Game Term. And "weakness" derived from Orvanshagor cult description is my one of main purpose to write about Alakoring (anti-draconic) from the point of view of the skald of Argrath's court (pro-draconic). From the POV of pro draconic sympathizers, it is UTUMA IMHO.

> > And as you know, dragons sometimes divide oneself by
> > Utuma, combined (be eaten) to other (see End of Ingolf's
> > Saga and "Wyter" Drang the Diamond Storm) or revive from
> > death without any causation. (See Dragon Sun in
> > Genertela Box: Glorantha and Sh'hakarzeel (Mover of
> > Heaven) in Argrath's Saga)
>
> That's somewhat similar to Orlanth's self fragmenting in 48 pieces at
> the Battle of Stormfall. Dragons, Vampires, Heroes and Gods don't
> necessarily stay dead just because they have been killed.

Maybe, but it is before the Time, God Age, there is no clear definition between life and death in that time, Orlanthi believes God Age and Time are different, (and Chaos (Lunars?) and Dragon might not believe it.)

> You list a lot of "things with draconic nature" or shape. Especially
> rivers and similar serpents. I think this application of the term
> "draconic" goes too far.

It might be Aroka is the symbolization of Water Power, from the POV of Malkioni Euhemeristic Analyzation. (Every false gods are former "Erasanchula" of Danmalastan) and as I said this list is very arbitrary, I unintentionally criticized David's Hero List for he pick up and drop arbitrarily historical characters.

> IMO the EWF was about manifestation magic - similar to Vithelan dream
> magic or dream dragons, or the Dragon's Eye. Groups of humans combined
> their draconic parts to form a draconic entity capable of
> manifestations. Drang was IMO the result of the communal effort of the
> draconic Orlanth priests.

I agree with you about it.

> Alakoring slaying Drang has some similarity to Odayla killing the Storm
> Bear. A partial Utuma of storm vs. storm. Whether Alakoring minded the
> lesson, I don't know. After Tobosta, he didn'T have the chance to act on
> them, anyways.

I would rather like to make such feat attached to the High King Verenmars and his followers, gods versus beasts, but I think I understand what you mean.

End of Glorantha Digest