Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #194 - 6 msgs

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:15:16 +0100

In message <1030702086.2111512.0_at_[62.253.240.28]>, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org writes
>Over in a RQ3 game, my Yelornan has just been killed, and is likely to
>be the subject of a resurrection attempt. We'd like this to involve
>more than just "priestess casts 3-point spell, you're back."
>
>I've found what TR has to say about Relife Sickness. I've found that we
>have a week while my PC's spirit hangs around the Halls of Silence.
>What I can't find is much about what a Resurrection ritual should
>involve. I have vague memories that it's a sort of mini-LBQ, and that a
>Trickster is required, but can't find references.
>
>Anyone got any pointers for me?

I thought about this in HW terms and came to the following conclusions. Firstly I noted that the description in KING OF SARTAR of 'What Happens When You Die' is slightly different from what you get in THUNDER REBELS and later sources. It says there that the spirit hangs around the body for a week, gradually gaining 'spirit senses' and then diving through the body (and a 'HeroQuest intiation' is mentioned here) to arrive on the spirit plane and going on the Courts of the Dead.

I decided that the first problem is to heal the body. This is hard because dead bodies don't want to heal naturally. This requires the use of healing magic at some penalty.

Then you have to project the spirit of the Healer into the Otherworld to find the deceased's spirit. That would be represented by the ritual magic roll to trigger the Resurrection in RQ.

Then the Healer has to persuade the spirit to return to the body. This is represented by the POW vs POW roll in the Resurrection spell.

For further complications you could make it difficult for the Healer to return to the mundane plane.

In RQ the gradual changing of the dead person into a spirit is represented by the loss of Characteristic points. In HW I suggested that it might be that each day a trait was replaced by a similar one that only worked on the Spirit Plane.

Hope that helps.

--
Michael Cule