Re: Chaos is more than broos

From: Stephen Tempest <gd_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:02:23 GMT

Peter Larsen:=20
> It seems to me that we are saying sort of the same thing --
>different cultures and different individuals have radically different
>experiences of chaos -- what causes ghastly observable personal
>consequences to one may have no open effect on the other. Where we =
diverge
>(as far as I can see) is that I want some sense of the mechanisms that
>cause this to happen.

How about this:

Thed is a goddess - that is, a conscious entity with opinions and whims and ambitions. Being a Chaos goddess, She's likely to be even more, well, chaotic compared to a normal god. However, She's not omnipotent and She can't be everywhere at once (and, of course, She's bound by the Great Compromise).

So, She pretty much takes for granted that Char-un will commit rape, and so doesn't pay much attention to it. They are a nice, steady source of worship and power for Her, but that's all. In order to attract Her personal attention - and a chance to turn into a broo, develop chaos features, etc - a Char-un would have to do something pretty exceptional, like devote his life to Her worship (ick) or sacrifice to Her directly.

On the other hand, in Heortling culture (and presumably most other sane societies) rape is considered an unusual, rare and particularly atrocious crime. Therefore if somebody _does_ commit it, it will attract Thed's attention straight away. She'll see a chance of corrupting a new follower, and an opportunity to establish Her presence and worship in a society that normally rejects Her. Of course She'll rush to lavish Her "gifts" on Her new worshipper.

The same principle would go for other chaotic acts - the Ogre Ancestor doesn't pay much attention to Maranites eating human flesh, because they do it all the time, but if Joe Orlanthi stews his neighbour that gets His notice big-time. There's also the important fact that Maran Herself allows cannibalism, and so will defend Her worshippers against the Ogre Ancestor's magic - whereas a god like Orlanth would be horrified and be more likely to _withdraw_ His protection from the cannibal.

Now, I'm not saying this is the _true_ explanation (ha!) but it does seem likely to be the way a theist would set about explaining it. =20

If things always happen consistently, then you might as well believe in a mechanistic universe governed by natural forces, rather than personalised deities...

Stephen