Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #233 - 6 msgs

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:42:46 +0000

Simon Bray replying to Peter:
>> About Lunar Empire, as a part of Genertela, center of
>> Theistic Worship, most of Lunars are theists as Heortlings
>> and Alakorings. IMO. (70% - 80%?)

>> Except: Animists (Hungry Plateau Waha, Deneroni of Darsen, >> Darjiinites, Eoltes, Char Uns and other Pentan Nomads)

I'm not sure about the Deneroni and Darjiinites. Peter chided me telling me not all animism is primitive. I might reverse this by saying that not all primitives are animists, citing the Votanki as another possible case.

>> Sorcerers (Carmanian Visirs, Blue Sorcerers, College of Magic)

Sorcerers don't require a huge sorcerous population if they can find ways to draw on communal support from other means. Possibly this emulation of Old Malkion's Fifth Action means they get polluted, endangering their afterlives, but this doesn't seem to be an issue for the Pelorian sorcerous subcultures. The Carmanians whitewash this by claiming Idovanus as mediator of the theist energies, and the blue sorcerers seem to regard this as a form of tapping. The Lunars probably emulate the Sherapdara approach of an intercessor, too.

>> Mystics (Lunar Selects, Jernotian Mystics, Rashoranites, Arkati >> Terrorists....)

> That is still a hell of a lot of people, not including the
> ancestor worshipper,

Ancestor worship in a theist manner has been shown possible for the Heortlings. A more civilized version of this, similar to the Roman Lares, probably is what Duke Raus has taken with him into his Praxian exile.

> the Uz and the minority groups living in the Empire, I still
> would refrain from calling the Empire a theist country when
> compared to Sartar and other Heortling Domains.

Sartar has Telmori, Wasp Riders, Serdodrosi and Kolati practices, minor aldryami and troll presence.

I don't know if Orlanth is Dead has anything on animist Heortlings (Kolat, Serdodrosa).

> One of the key elements in Fonrit is that Garangordos initally
> rebelled against his routes, he then quested to find new ways to
> do things, once he was happy with the way things were running he
> then sought his own godhood. He was then martyred and his empire,
> culture and religion were literally divided amongst his siblings,
> all twisting the words, magic and culture of Garangordos to suit
> their own personal ideals. I think this lead to diversity in
> every aspect of Fonritan life. The more I think about it, I
> feel it is these divergences that aided their resistance of the
> God Learners, the Fonritan culture was far too internally diverse
> and resistant to change that the God Learners could not unify
> their mythology, culture and magical world.

Hmm. I've already compared Kalabar to the Manirian God Learner cities in my response to Peter, but I noticed that the God Learners in Maniria who may have studied the Heortlings found that the Heortlings were taken over/in by the EWF, therefore a takeover from within possibly was negated by that other external (?) influence.

Overall, the God Learner take (God Learner as in "Error of the God Learners", not as in "Abiding Book") on theism seems to have been that they used it as a convenient source to tap for their uses. Not too different from the Vadeli approach to Animism...

It is possible that the God Learners in Fonrit tried to apply the methods which they had used to great effect among the (Manirian-descended) theists of Umathela when they set up Kalabar. While they succeeded to some extent (given the need for a great communal magic employed by Seseko), their influence was comparable to that in Kethaela. But then Kethaela offered its own set of diversity which only the Pharaoh managed to make use of as a unifying agent.

> There may be concept here that are confusing and I have great
> difficulty explaing my ideas in writing, I wish that UW had
> the funds to publish Martin Hawley's Garangrapha, there is so
> much material that would make these ideas clearer.

Any chance to get at least some fragments of this published? Various publication outlets (e.g. Ye Booke of Tentacles or other convention fund raisers) are constantly on the search for such core topics.

End of Glorantha Digest