Fonrit

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:14:18 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner

> >No, it doesn't. Ompalam is also worshipped as can be seen in
> >Revealed Mythologies and the Glorantha: Intro.

>Yes, collaterally taking a significant portion, much like Yelm is in Dara
>Happa, or Wakboth in Storm Bull rites.

Wrong. Ompalam is worshipped directly as the mention of the Kanaharim "the Judge-Priests of Ompalam" (Glorantha: Intro p229 shows).

>[The Fonritans] reimpose the Artmali Age level of civilization like it
>had been achieved in (Agimori) Tishamto.

Tishamto has nothing to do with Fonrit. Jraktal is not mentioned at all in the Doraddi tales and associated specifically with Fonrit. The Heirs of Tishamto are the modern people of Kothar.

         "The Doraddi peoples occupy the eastern lands called
         Kothar.  They are the most sedentary of the Agimori
         and live in many large and pleasant villages along the
         many rivers that flow to the continent's interior.  They
         are the heirs to many of the most holy places of the
         oldest gods of Pamaltela.  Almost half the people here
         do not move from their homes, either seasonally or
         for curiousity."
                         Glorantha: Intro p233.

>These Blue-Skin masters [in Thinobutan myth] were from Kungatu, and
>had come by way of Zamokil.

Why should they have come from Kungatu? The Artmali landed first at what is now Zamokil and the founders of the Artmali Empire migrated to Kungatu by land. Meanwhile many of the other Artmali remained behind at Zamokil founding the mythical land of Tenel. The Blue-Skin masters could have easily migrated to evil Durba from Zamokil and from then on to Thinobutos and Fonrit.

Just because Kingatu (in the Western Nargan) was the heart of the Artmali Empire doesn't mean that everything Artmali in Pamaltela came from there.

>Who were the Banthites anyway?

Followers and worshippers of the Banthe Ocean.

> >I don't see why these names are so suspect.

>The Zaranistangi (just like the Helerians) aren't Artmali, even though they
>are blue-skinned.

But the Zaranistangi are Artmali (Glorantha: Intro p207)!

>The name Annilla is highly suspect when used instead of Serartamal or
>Veldara. IMO a clear editorial oversight.

But I wasn't asking about Annilla, I was asking why the names of Tolat, Emilla and Orfeda were so suspect.

> >There's thirteen members in the Necklace while the Gargandites
> >has seventeen.

>Garangordos managed to add the four cardinals which are also included
>in the list of Esiti.

I strongly doubt that Garangordos tampered with such a holy ceremony and I don't see the reference to the cardinals in the Esiti list. The cardinals first appear in the Old People's period and aren't as primal as the original witnesses.

--Peter Metcalfe