Mother of Umath's Sons

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:53:12 +1300

Julian Lord

>Following this analysis, I'd say that Humakt's mother would most
>likely be the Mother of Space, who is indeed a terrifying entity. She
>is a cognate of Uleria, probably Uleria's daughter with Nakala.

The trouble with this is that Mother of Space is an abstract philosophical deity with little real mythological significance. I think instead Humakt's mum should be worshipped somewhere.

> > Ragnaglar could be related to Lodril because the latter is
> > associated with Sex.

>I won't buy this one, though. Eurmal is a possible candidate for the
>Kalt r=F4le, and Ragnaglar's mother possibly (one of) Eurmal's
>daughter(s) with Uleria ? See "Uleria tames the boggles".

AFAIK Eurmal isn't around yet as Ratslaff is still causing trouble. The Uleria association is a possibility.

Simon Phipp:

>Me> As Ian Cooper pointed out on the HeroWars list, the Bad Uncles of
> > the Brothers are from (KoS p64) are: Genert, Kalt, Lodril, Dehore
> > and Magasta. There's one for each of the five brothers - Vadrus,
> > Urox, Other One/Ragnaglar, Humakt and Orlanth.

>Can we assume that each uncle is the father of one of Umath's Sons?
>These are the Bad Uncles, after all, what if the Good Uncles were the
>fathers of these sons?

I think Umath is the father of his sons. What we trying to do is to identify the mother using the Bad Uncles as a guide.

> > A problem arises in that any sons of Gata and Aether would be
> > Umath's brothers and so qualify as uncles to his sons. Genert
> > as a son of Gata and Lodril as a son of Aether become Uncles
> > to all five brothers.

>Yelm, as Aether's son, is also an uncle - "Wandering Sun, Jealous
>Uncle" may be a Yelmalian greeting but I think clearly represents
>Yelm - as is Dayzatar.

That's true but such people aren't important in the myth. Only five gods are necessary while the other Bad Uncles can be forgotten.

> > Lodril's father isn't known although Yelm is said in HonEel's Wane
> > Chonicle to have a step-mother. Perhaps Uleria?

>Lodril's father is surely Aether?

Quite right. I should have said his mother.

>Urox, or Storm Bull in an earlier incarnation, was originally stated to be=
=20
>the
>son of Umath and Mykih the Beast Mother.

I thought this was Cults of Prax but that only had him as a only child of Umath. Checking my sources again, I see that Wyrm Footprints (p67) says that his mother was Mikyh and so too does the Dragon Pantheon article.

This doesn't make our task any easier as Mikyh is a God-Learnerism and we don't know who her relatives are (or more precisely who the Orlanthi think her relatives are).

A relationship with Uralda probably exists but I can't find her father and for all we know Uralda might be Urox's daughter. The best possibility remains that Genert is intended to be Urox's Uncle although we know from Praxian myth that Storm Bull migrated to Prax.

>I was under the impression that Ragnaglar was also a son of the
>Beast Mother, but that was just an impression.

It may still be true depending on how you look. From the Orlanthi PoV, Ragnaglar is Umath's Son. From the God Learner PoV they are related through their common animal heritage. All that illustrates is that the genealogies are a road map and not the relationships themselves.

--Peter Metcalfe