Re: Humakt's Mother

From: topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:22:58 +0200

It is my firm belief that the Myth how Great Humakt was born is very well known, but rarely recognised as such.

In such an early event Humath isn't usually recognised apart from his great father Umath, as he later was.

Inspiration came with: Wyrm's Footprínts p.39
"Umath was woe to the world and saviour of cosmos.
He had many children, and a few had no mother."; and from discussion over this intresting thread.

[These texts owe (draw) heavily on Thunder Rebels, above all,  but also King of Sartar, Storm Tribe and King of Dragon Pass.]

THE BIRTH OF HUMATH
(This is the original story.)

Asrelia's age was the first age of growth unknowable to mortals today. It ended when the Emperor ruled that the growth should stop. The World existed, but it had no reason for being before Umath came.

Then Umath was begat. He was woe to the world and saviour of cosmos. He requested from the Emperor what was his by right. Instead the Emperor banned the stormy motion outside the cornered edges of the earth. "Violence is always an option.", thought Umath. He took one of his own teeth and made a Hu (a knife) to cut himself free.

Umath could not be made an outcast. He spoke:
"Am I to have no Honor?"
"No rings to give out no bed."
"This is not Just. You dishonor your rank."
"I will show you my secrets, if you won't show me your's!"

The place that Umath came through of is the Stormgate, that great orange star there, like hole in the dome. Umath came "with a great noise, deafening, disabling, like thunder in a cavern, like living in a horn." His visage "rolled over earth with anger, rumbled across sky with greed, filled the space with his gray brows and thunder" Umath placed his hands to the belly of his father and his feet upon his mother and pushed them apart forever.

With this great act of Separation Humath was born. Born from Warrior's Honor of his fierce father, from the Hu of his tooth. Humath's mother was the Space, thus created by Umath for himself.

Old Man Sky groaned and Grandmother Earth wept, when Humath was born. This stayed with Humath, so his path is filled with groans and sorrows.

Humath moved with Umath and grew, sought meaning and changed.

THE BIRTH OF HUMAKT
(A modern, specially told version of the original story.)

Humakts first deed with the Sword Death was to cut the ties of kinship binding him, for he was to be the God of Death.

Orlanth was moved to tears by the honor of this act, and has ever since given place to him in his ring even though he is a stranger. Humakt's mother became cold to him.

With this great act of Separation Humakt was born. Born from True Honor of his terrible wyrd, from the Hu of his sword. Humakt separated the living from the dead trough his sojourn in despair. Thus did Humakt make a place for himself: the realm of Space, of Death, of the Underworld.

The place that Death came into the world of is at the Maranaba. There's that great crack in the earth there, like a broken floor. Death came "with a steely silence, swinging, separating, like flash in the night, like repose in a chestbone" Hu's power "spilled through waters with spite, swept the sky with vengeance, filled the space with deaths and darkness." Eurmal Dire, placed his hands upon the handle of the Sword Death and pushed the blade through the chest of Grandfather Life.

Humakt could not be made a murderer. He said:
"Am I to have no Honor?"
"I am a god, I have no misconceptions about this."
"This is not Just. You dishonor your rank."
"I will show you my secrets, if you won't show me your's!"

Humakt's freedom was begat. First there was one freedom. Later everybody got to make themselves freedom like the original one. Orlanth Umaths'son contested then the Emperor to prove himself a part of the cosmic order. But the judges, the Emperor had set, ruled against Orlanth in each Trial.
"Violence is allways an option.", thought Orlanth.
He took from one of his own brothers and stole Hu (the Sword) to cut everyone free.

Umath's age was the second age of growth, during which everything changed. It ended when Jagrekriand destroyed Umath that the changes should stop. The world became fullfilled, but it was not free until Humakt came.

Wyrms footprints p. 39 (rEAd by dEAdeye bEAckwards)
"Umakt was woe to the cosmos and saviour of the world.
 He had few children some of whom had several mothers." Let the discussion continue...