Did the Egyptians Change?

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:05:32 -0800

>From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>

>Believe it or not, in my campaign these issues *are*
>relevant. That's the reason why I was uncertain about the right
>place for this thread (Digest or HWList).

>Actually our campaign is not centered on the classical
>Heortling Tula vs Evil Empire topos: we introduced a
>terrestrial astronaut PC in Glorantha

Wow. YG Does V!
Gianfranco, your questions and observations on the lists are always insightful and entertaining. And though I'd probably enjoy taking a dive into this subject of "Earth Science versus Gloranthan Reality" there are so many variables at play that I am going to bow out personally, and just watch. Keep it up!

However, I will take a crack at discussing the belief systems questions that you have raised.

>> The ancient
>> Egyptians, for instance, didn't change all that much
>> in thousands of
>> years.
>
>Are you sure?
>We tend to flat ancient cultures and ancient peoples
>when we look at them from 2002 AD.

This is a key issue. We tend to think they have not changed because archeologists have not discovered significant material changes in the remnants of their culture. However, we have no proof or evidence that people's attitudes were always the same. I myself do not believe they were a static and unchanging mind set for the entire period of ancient history. I am not learned enough about their literature to prove otherwise, but I can point to the proto-Greeks with more confidence. I will use their literature as the example of changing attitudes. Homer is the great hero who quantified attitudes, but his attitudes are quite different from Hesiod, a near contemporary. Homer concentrates on the Olympians, whereas Hesiod relates stories of a myriad of other non-Homeric deities. Of course we don't have any evidence of what people thought before Homer, but we can clearly see an increasing skepticism and materialism after him. Plato and Aristotle set into motion perspectives which revised Greek thought about the gods, eventually resulting in Neoplatonic philosophy that has little to do with big-sized guys in the sky who turn into swans to knock up the babes.
I think that the Egyptians, subject to their own history of invasions, climate changes and new ideas, likely underwent some significant changes in human attitude at well.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc.
P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527 (510) 524-7619 Publisher of HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>