Astronaut in Glorantha

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <janjero_at_tin.it>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:26:11 +0100

Greg:
> Agreed. To address Gianfranco's astronaut with the
> Mostali example: won't
> he be surprised to discover that Gloranthan gun
> powder is not made of
> sulpher, salt peter and carbon because those element
> do not exist in
> Glorantha

He (the player) hasn't discovered it yet. Currently he is trying to obtain Steam Power Engines in Glorantha (ref: = the recent thread about Steam Power in the HeroWars list). But this request forced me (as a narrator) to think about a simple fact: = regardless of the point whether you can obtain Steam Power in Glorantha = by hot water or not (do Mostali use magical hot air or do they boil = water in their steam devices?), there is little use for a single = Technological Invention where the whole society is based on different = premises.
Like in RW a unique genius like Leonardo didn't change his society, so = in Glorantha a single man with innovative ideas faces a myriad of = adverse conditions.
Or not? He is a hero and he is a PC so he should be given a possibility = to implement his project.
The matter is still open.

Up to now, I reasoned that the Astronaut in my campaign can't use Steam = to power Factory Plants (as the Player planned to do) because: a) metal in Glorantha is too precious (bronze is abundant but = metallurgically unfit to build a Steam engine with, at least so says my = questionable insight on the matter; iron is scarce; maybe gold is more = fit to build a steam engine with, given its relation with solar/fire = elements?);
b) magic is widespread and it is more reliable than a Steam Engine = (which resembles GodLearnerism or worse); so a lot of people adverse the = project and advise magic solutions when the Astronaut experience and = studies would suggest technology.
c) economy is primitive: you don't have a market for your manufactured = goods; slaves give abundant manpower but no demand for goods; population = is too thin and the costs/risks of trasports greatly exceed the = advantage of concentrated mass production. d) Steam is an inner world source of energy, but does it stirs any = reaction from the other world too? How does local spirits or daimones = react to the sensation of Steam Power? Do you need magical warding to = prevent otherworldly jeopardizing? Is there a natural magical resistance = in Glorantha for new sources of power, maybe in the 10W3 range? Does it = obstacle the use of "natural" fonts of energy like carbon, oil or steam = power?

the problem is stimulating, I think.

Ciao,
Gian

End of Glorantha Digest