Re: Heroquesting

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:09:51 GMT

>From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_optonline.net>

>> >At the same time I can imagine
>> >the Lunar Colleges of magic deliberately experimenting in a systematic
>> >way to improve quests. That is unusual, not because of anything
>> >inherent in magic, but because only the Lunar empire has the resources
>> >to do such experiments and also recover from the inevitable mistakes.
>>
>> I think this is so too, which is one of the reason that they are so scary
>> to most people.
>
>Isn't this what got the God Learners into all sorts of trouble?

Sort of, it will probably get the Lunars into trouble as well. I expect there will be at least one city where a College of Magic disappeared one night along with a large chunk of nearby people and buildings.

>I'd imagine that HeroQuests are highly personal in many ways, so it may well
>be very difficult to 'standardize' HQ's, since the Godplanes are viewed by
>someone's own cultural and imaginative filters so much.

Not so much personal as cultural, the need for co-operation on quests means a shared view of the godplanes is essential to avoid dangerous errors. Within a culture HeroQuests tend to be standardised to the point of ritual. In most cultures it is only exceptional individuals (such as Arkat) who invent new quests and intentionally modify old ones.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/