Re: Too much history

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:52:20 EST

Greg replies to Terror
> >>If Modern LE is Sassanians...

> They aren't!

Or any other one culture. They are their own culture evolved through their own history, religion, economic and social structures.

> >>Akhaimenes: Lion Shahs
> >>Successors: Bull Shahs
> >>Parthians: Vakthan Ilart and TakenEgi
> >>Sassanians: Arronius and Magnificus
>
> This is too much parallelism.
> These comparisons are to be used as starting analogs.
> You seem to be stuck in equivalencies.
> Free yourself!

Yes! Well said Greg. I think the problem with analogies is that they create a railway line approach to thinking - that you must follow the analogy in the real world to the nth degree. This is not the case at all for Glorantha, when one comes up with an analogy and then starts the ball rolling, the best way to follow it is to follow the culture and history of the people in question and the events that impact upon them. After timelining that way, you find that they turn out quite differently from the analog you started with.

> >>From Greg's comment about Modern Lunar Army:
> ><<
> >You mentioned that LE is much similar to Sassanoid Empire, but refering to
> >Unspoken Word #1,Tarsh Culture is much similar to Roman culture. Can I
> >analyze that Sairdite Culture is similar to Romans, and so whole system of
> >LE Political Structure and Culture is Persian-like Style? (That is the
> >speculation of recent answer to him..)
>
> No, there are no "romans" in Glorantha, nor even a good analog for them.

Yes, no romans and no legions as we know them from the Augustine apogee of Empire. The empire is cool because of its heterogeny, embrace it! It is the way of the Goddess.

Oh, the first ILH book should be out soon so there will be descriptions of many areas of the Empire in it. A useful source I think.

Martin Laurie