Re: Puzzle Canal

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:10:21 EST

Ian Thompson:=20
<< IIRC the Puzzle Canal wasn=E2=80=99t constructed until after
 Pavis=E2=80=99 time. More precisely, IIRC in P&BR it states  that Labrygon didn=E2=80=99t even arrive in Pavis City until  after Pavis had done to the otherworld.>>

You are right, I think. Not sure about the statement about Labrygon arriving= ,=20
but either way it could be an historical inaccuracy.=20

<< Of course it might not be quite so precise, so there
 is always scope for saying that Labrygon was in the  city (even for a planning visit) whilst Pavis was  around.>>

This is my how I am playing it. The heroes, agents of Pavis, are trying to=20 influence the plans, so it has not yet been built, and they are not trying t= o=20
rebuild it. I am also being pretty flexible with the timeline of events, eve= n=20
the events themselves. If the Heroes get Lopers to be the cavalry beast of=20 the city then that is what will happen. If Thog is welcomed to the city as a= =20
friend and ally then that is what will happen.=20

<< IMO Pavis doesn=E2=80=99t cajole or wheedle or persuade. He is
 King of the City, worshipped by the citizens, and soon  to be a God! IMO if he wants someone to change their  plans, they bloody change them, bloody quick! :)>>

This is not how I see him. It would make for a dull game if Pavis turns up=20 tells everyone what to do then they do it. It seems to me he should be a goo= d=20
negotiator, cajoler, persuader. In my game he is (these are, in my game, hi= s=20
main abilities). I guess I prefer to have less than omnipotent know it all=20 patrons. In fact, I prefer my heroes fallible with definite flaws, Lord Pavi= s=20
has them, Flintnail has them, Joraz Kyrem has them. If they did not, why=20 bother with Heroic player characters. To draw a parallel, if I paraphrased=20 you:=20

"Prince Argrath doesn=E2=80=99t cajole or wheedle or persuade. He is  King of Sartar, worshipped by the citizens, and soon  to be a God! IIf he wants someone to change their  plans, they bloody change them, bloody quick! "

then I think you would agree the whole of the Hero Wars scenario arc loses=20 some of it's appeal.=20

<< I think your game depends on things happening during
 the time Pavis is around, otherwise I would suggest  that you set this little debate later so that Labrygon  is negotiating with Pavis=E2=80=99 son Daris. Then some  persuasions etc might happen.
 IMO everything that happened (especially at major epic  magic level) in Old Pavis is an intrinsic part of  Pavis Grand Plan.>>

But his Grand Plan must have had cracks in it, else the city would not have=20 fallen (it seems to me), and it fell to both Thog, and the nomads, and to=20 trolls and dragonewts and recently Lunars and in the future probably nomads=20 again.=20

<< If history suggests differently then

 history is wrong. Even at the time people may have  assumed that the Puzzle Canal was just a coincidental  feature. Even Labrygon might have not fully understood  his connection to the mythic fabric of the city.  Nonetheless that connection was there and was huge.  (IMO)>> YGMV.=20
=20
<< I would suggest more that the Canal was a metaphor for
 the whole world, and that it is way bigger inside than  the walls can account for.>>

The Canal is a metaphor for the whole world, from a sea-being POV. Lots of=20 currents and sea gods and some dry land to provide food.=20

<< Therefore the info supplied

 in P&BR is woefully incomplete, and within the Canal  are places representing all of the elements, not just  water. If more people got off their boats and headed  along the little windy paths they might find tonnes  more. (If the catoblepas doesn=E2=80=99t zap them first of  course) :(
=20
 Ian

It just seemed that a swirling maze with 4 "levels" and a powerful attractiv= e=20
force in the centre was a close fit to the oceans. =20

Thanks for the feedback, it is useful to have an alternative POV to my own.

Keith=20

End of Glorantha Digest