Instinctive Heroquests (was Are Gloranthans Human?)

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:47:15 -0800

donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk (Donald R. Oddy):

> I'm having great difficulty with the idea of instinctive heroquests.
> AIUI a heroquest involves deliberatly going to the hero plane with a
> specific objective in mind. Even that can be dangerous and yet it is
> being suggested that some instinct can manage to substitute for all
> the planning and ritual normally used.

Perhaps it isn't a full-on "heroquest", but I think it's reasonable to say that making babies is otherworld-magic of one sort or other. For example, when two animists go at it, they somehow have to reach into the spirit world to pull out a spirit for the new baby. Even if they aren't doing the full draw-the-circle-and-burn-the-herbs shaman thing, they *are* blurring the boundaries between the worlds, however instinctively and unconsciously. (This could have practical consequences--other, less friendly, spirits might take advantage of the weakened barrier between the worlds. Perhaps animists always use protective magic when they have sex? If nothing else, they'd be worried about drawing a bad spirit into their baby. Gives "safe sex" a whole new meaning!)

Similarly, for monotheists and pagans, making a baby means (on some level) petitioning God/your god to provide a divine essence/soul for the baby. It might not be a quest, but it *is* a magical act.

For other races, it would be different, of course. James F. has speculated that for Uz, getting pregnant requires an explicit heroquest, and the Womb Biter is now standing along the quester's path, trying to ruin the children. (The "make a Mistress Race troll" quest is too difficult for even most Uzuz to perform, since the Exile--the "make a dark troll" quest is risky enough.)