heroquests and Heroquets

From: Mick Rowe <mickrowe.ygmv_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:44:43 -0000

hi all,

IMG the life cycle of each and every being in glorantha is a heroquest (little-h), whether the being is human, god, plant, animal or another. Each being goes through birth, childhood, adolesence, marriage, sex, work, old age, death, rebirth, etc. The only difference between the races being the length of time the cycle takes to go full circle.

They all tend instinctively to repeat the actions of their previous incarnations, giving them their wyrd. Sometimes, they get the chance to correct wrongs they did in a previous life, or they do something wrong that will affect their future incarnations.

The previous incarnations of these beings may not heroic in the sense of having great powers or fame or worshippers, but they will still influence the beings actions in his current lifecycle.

Now most Orlanthi are not aware of this and live their lives in the present; and mistakenly assume that all their decisions are based on current events, rather than their wyrd.

The Orlanthi live by following a set of guidelines in the form of myths. Some of theses myths hint at and give half truths of what happened in their previous incarnations. When an orlanthi wants a particular benefit to affect the world he or she will undertake a special Heroquest (Capital-H) to try and gain those powers. In doing this he is repeating the actions of his fore fathers and himself in a previous life. They also have the powerful tool of Free Will so that they can break the spell caused by their wyrd.

So, much like the Light Bringers Quest, I see the life of a Gloranthan as one long heroquest made up of many little Heroquests. The quest is not only about gaining special powers for yourself and your community, but its about living life.

When I run a game two of my favourite quotes to the players are "Everyone is a Hero" and "All life is a heroquest".

hope this makes sense,
Cheers,
Mick