B Gor and Ura

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:14:33 -0600

Julian Lord says:
>This ability to be fertilised is essentially unrealised in her [B Gor's]
>mythology, and she certainly has no children, but she is a focus
>of love, as her other name, Ura : the Pleasant One, indicates ;
>and Yinkin and Heler among other rulesbreakers have,
>IMO, understood and appreciated her deep reality,
>and especially have understood and had compassion for
>her suffering.

        I don't know about this -- I always thought "Ura" was a euphemism designed to a) allow a person to speak of the terrifying god without actually mentioning her and b) a propitiatory gesture.

        Non-fertility/non-mating seems so central to B Gor's nature that I find it hard to imagine another god getting around it. (Getting around the god to seduce or love a worshipper is another story, but one not too likely to have a happy ending for either the B Gor worshipper or the seducer/lover. On the other hand, it's a heroic sort of thing to do, and romantic tragedy plays well....)

Peter Larsen