Malkioni armies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:07:35 +1300

Trotsky:

> I don't think that the West, by and large, tends to have much in
> the way of standing armies. Loskalm is an exception, of course
> (although not the only one, IMO).

The only idea for the west not generally having standing armies comes from the received medieval parallel. And even that is largely inaccurate being formed from medieval literature which was written by hacks that lavished attention on the knights and ignored the poor bloody infantry.

I find it more interesting to give strong Malkioni states standing armies and/or professional infantry, considering that other great civilizations (Lunar, Kralori, Fonritan and Holy Country) have them.

> OTOH, in medieval Europe the
> knights were also the nobles and had ruling to do when they weren't
> fighting - in Malkioni society there is a clear distinction between
> warriors and nobility which will naturally have an impact on their
> society and their military.

There is meant to be in Malkionism a clear distinction between the civil authorities and the military defenders. However these divisions can be seriously blurred: Seshnela and Arolanit are places that spring to mind.

 --Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest