Re: Runes

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_celtic-webs.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 08:11:57 -0800

glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:

> James Frusetta:
>
> >Are these runes universal, however?

In my opinion they are not. In HW the 'core' runes are specifically said to be a God Learner invention. So only places that had strong GL influences would recognise them - and many of those places may only know them as "GL squiggles, destroy them!"

Any place without a GL influence would not recognise them, frex Dara Happa, Pent, Prax (they don't write runes at all), etc.

> > Now, though, we have a goodly number of Sartarite runes (and
> >presumably Lunar runes on the way!). But do both cultures use the same
> >runes for both things? Some are probably adopted back and forth, but
> >when the same concept is known to both independently do they still use
> >the same rune, or do different cultures produce different runes?

That depends on what it is. The Dara Happans and Sartarites/Orlanthi have had contact and traded invasions since the God's War. It is almost certian that they have traded runes back and forth. Just look at Jakregiand in TR, that is Shargash' rune.

> >Moreover, getting outside da Hooman, do the Elder Races and lesser types
> >also use the same runes as humans? Or, say, do we have uz runes,
> >aldraymi runes, mostali circuit diagrams, baboon runes, duck runes,
> >etc.?

I'd say they all have their own. frex, the Dragonewts may not use runes at all- being afraid that to create them may tie their souls to this existence.

Wesley