Re: Heortling kingship

From: Bwbfc_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:40:42 EST

Herve
> IMHO, any Heortling Orlanthi may heroquest to "prove" he belongs to Heort
> bloodline and so boost his claim to a position of power.
> I think this could be done by going to Heort stead and fulfilling a deed
> that a "known" son of Heort did.

Hunting the winter deer... well, that's what i have in mind.

David Dunham
> Heort's form of kingship actually doesn't depend on bloodlines --
> that's a Vingkotling thing. I've always thought it amusing that
> Sartar's kingdom reverted to Vingkotling kingship, and last weekend I
> finally figured out the reason: because Sartar was an Issaries hero,
> he wasn't qualified to be a Heortling king! (No Orlanth Rex and all.)
> But he must have had Vingkot's blood in him, and thus used those
> rites.

So there's an opposition between Sartari kingship (Vingkotling) and the Broyan High Kingship (Heortling). Suppose Kallyr brings Broyan info about the Twin Beasts of the Far Place (a lost bit of myth for Heortling Kingship), i guess Broyan contributes to Kallyr's quest in Sartar as well. What's the deal?

Peter Metcalfe
> >I'm a bit confused about royal bloodlines. If Heort is the ancestor of many
> >clans, shouldn't they all be royal bloodlines?
>
> They are, but very few members of a royal bloodline get to be High King.

So in order to be high king, must they do a heroquest? Now, i was probably not very well awake, on this one... mea culpa.

Jerome