Metals

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:59:42 +1200

Mikko Rintasaari

>An article that was published in the Elder Secret's book has caused a lot
>of confusion into this othervice fairly straightforward scheme:

I don't see any confusion in the Elder Secrets book and what it says involves much more than the in-voice article.

>The Elder Secrets article named Bronze for Umath, but bronze isn't a very
>credible choise given the other variables.

Why not? It's a mixture of tin and copper, the metals of sky (not fire) and earth respectively. Furthermore the Seshnegi do call bronze Umath's metal.

>Bronze is the stock metal of Glorantha. A workingman's choise.

And Elder Secrets points out that there's a King who didn't like the implications of this. Yes, it is disturbing for Orlanthi that think about it but they can always take it out on a Gray Sage.

>Bronze is not a pure runic metal by any of the schemes, yet it's often
>noted to be the metal of Orlanth.

Where? It's noted as a Storm Metal in Elder Secrets but nowhere is it specifically associated with Orlanth.

> What gives? No problem. Orlanth, of
>course, is one of the young gods, and not a pure elemental power.

So was Umath.

>I like this especially since bronze (in the bronze age or in glorantha) is
>a remarkable metal.

Yet above you are deprecating bronze as a storm metal because it is the stock metal of glorantha and a workingman's choice. Your new scheme looks as inconsistent as the old one.

>Lightning was the
>power of Umath, claimed from his corpse by Yavor (a warrior of the fire
>tribe) and later from Yavor by Orlanth.

Nope. Lightning is originally a power of the Fire Tribe as the Lightning Boy myth illustrates. Thunder Rebels only says that Yavor made darts from Umath's brain but his lightning weapons are spears. Likewise Daylanus Conquering Wind has enchant tin as a sign of his mastery over the Sky.

>One of the keys to this insight was the reference in some sources, the
>earliest being Plunder, of storm artefacts made of Tin (and diamonds!).

Which is understandable under the old scheme. So I'm not sure why we have to make shift tin from sky to storm.

--Peter Metcalfe