Metals

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:21:30 +0000 (GMT)

> From: "TERRA INCOGNITA"

> First, see about the older text in Elder Secret
> written for King Frithorf
> the Magnificent or Prince Bertalor.

http://www.wpgaudin.freeserve.co.uk/HiddenQuest/metal.htm

Very useful link: thanks!

> And if you want to know about the realtionship
> between jewelry, cults and
> runes. There is an old but good unofficial source in
> Old New Lolon Gospel
> #2, Written by Mike Rowe, "A Catalogue of Gloranthan
> Gems (1992)"

Don't think I ever got that, since it looked Western. DO we know of an on-line copy anywhere?

> From: Mikko Rintasaari

Who prefers Tin to be Airy: so do I in fact, but let's look at all sides.

> We have Gold as the elemental metal of Fire/Sky, yet
> suddenly we get
> offered Tin as a second metal of the Sky. As
> explanation we seem to get
> the myth of lightning, and the metal is attributed
> to Dayzatar.

Think of Fire and Sky as two different things, and it may make more sense.

> Dayzatar, of course, is about as non-martial as a
> god can get. An aloof
> skygod that managed to avoid the war of the gods
> alltogether, yet somehow
> this is supposed to be the source of lightning.

"Impersonal" rather than "non-martial", perhaps? And think of the lightning that goes aross the sky rather than down to earth: it isn't a attack. He has great power: he just chooses not to use it.

> This was a very strange
> approach to the elemental logic anyway, with
> lightning attributed to the
> gods of fire, instead of storm.

Think "air" rather than "storm" and it may become clearer. Lightning as a property of Sky rather than Air makes some sort of sense.

In fact, the difference between Storm and Air may be the addition of Lightning...?

> Glorantha has five true, or original, elements.
> Fire, Darkness, Earth, Air
> and Water. These five can be arranged in a circle,
> where each always
> dominates the next and is dominated by the previous
> one. If Umath had been
> a young god, and Air was not a true element, it
> wouldn't fit into this progression.

All very true, and yet Umath was born of Earth and Sky. He manages to be both a pure element *and* a mixture.

I hvae a horrible feeling that both arguments are true, and there *is* no nice, tidy answer :( **dy storm gods, messing the place up :(

> When I claimed that bronze is a remarkable metal, I
> meant it in the sense
> that the young god's are remarkably different from
> the primal powers. They
> don't have the earliest god's raw elemental power
> and purity, but they
> have resourcefulness and resilience.

Is this how Orlanth differs from Umath?

> Finally there's the important question of MGF, as
> ably championed by MOB
> and Nick Brooke. We gain nothing by attributing tin
> to an obscure sungod.

> The only thing anybody ever seems to have used tin
> in published sources
> since RQ-1 seems to have been more or less tied with
> lightning,

Yes, tying Tin to Lightning (somehow) is, I think, a definite.

> Personally I think the elemental association of Iron
> is Death.

I *like* this idea. A lot. But it does introduce Death as a new Element, and that opens several new cans of worms.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com