Bloody Sacred Games of Ancient

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:11:59 +0900

Hello:

Today, I went to the exhibition of "Ancient Mayan Culture" during the interval of recent schedule, I saw the Ball Game Ground of Copan in Virtual Reality Theatre, losing team was sacrificed for Fertility Rite.... http://www.maya-archaeology.org/museums/copan/copan.html

And I mainly used mayan style priest costume (I like their very large head dress) for my Buseri priests....in Yuthuppa. YGWV.

Me:
> > But when the Empire has first invented Roman Style Bread and Circus? Can
> > find hints in ILH series? (I don't have ILH-1 yet.)

Gudny...sorry, Wesley:
> Urvairinus first popularised gladitorial games as part of his funerary
> arrangements (GRoY29). Before that ... well there isn't much before
> Urvairinus ... before that it was probably a Shargashi sacred thing.

Yeah, I forgot Shargashi... But I think it is mainly for participants and miserable slaves and not for poor spectators.....

> IMO it has been with the Dara Happans ever since.

There is a plenty of bloody sacrifice rituals in RW ancient history aside from Romans, as I mentioned before, is there any occupation keyword for Gladiator in ILH as in unofficial fanzine Unspoken Word: Tarsh in Flames?

> Check the rest of this paragraph, "He named men ... This augmented the
> old funerary athletic games."

I think it is similar to Zasturnic Game (FS p.67) before Urvairinus, or that Orlanth challenged Yelm before he went the Palace with Death. Dance, Music and Magic.
<<Ancient institution with competition in music, athletics, and Envisioning.>>

> IMO there were games that were popularily
> celebrated and Urvairinus added blood sports to it. This may have been
> a deliberate effort to distract the citizenry while the governement
> underwent changes from one Emperor to the next and alleviated the
> uncertainty. Much as the Roman games distracted the citizenry from
> their poverty.

I don't think Large Colosseum was required if the Game was held only by the funeral of Emperors. DH Old court custom not to do much with the concern of poor populace welfare. They keep their internal security with Iron Fist against weeders and mudders. Please see Mark Galeotti's Article in Moon Rites.

> > I think Lunars reinstituted Bloody Games as an inheritor of Bright
Empire. I
> > don't think Ordanestyu-style Puritanism tolerate Roman Style luxurious
> > Circus....
> >

> I don't see any mention of Ordanestyu purging society but even if he
> did, Urvairinus founded the blood games so any puritan would have to
> keep them. They are part of the ritual of death for emperors.

Bloody doesn't automatically means Luxurious... and I expect more non-roman style ritual.

I think in most of history of DH slaves should be used for more fruitful purpose, when the Empire shrank and didn't afford to use them only for entertainment of poor populace.....like the Raibanth surrounded by Spolites or Yuthuppa controlled by Youf....

I think good parallel can be found in the Reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinianus, in the Rebellion of Nika, horse race was abolished for the emperor abandoned the idea to keep advocate of old city democracy and chose more Oriental Theocratic Centralization. http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/procop-wars1.html

And there is no gladiator rebellion like that of Spartacus, (Beat Pot was cook, not gladiator!)
http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/folktale/aelwrin.htm And at least, I suppose there are no gladiator Masks appear, like Commodus or Caracalla.... even if Argentius is similar to Nero... http://www.roman-emperors.org/impindex.htm

Sincerely:
TI