WR Carmanian distribution

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:57:56 -0500

I am taking a second look at the Western Reaches from a religious/cultural point of view. Specifically, I am looking for a ball-park figure for what percentage of a satrapy's total population is
"Carmanian".

By Carmanian I mean a person who has accepted the Word of the Prophet and worships in the "Carmanian" way. A "non-Carmanian" would be defined as someone who has *not* personally accepted the message of Carmanos and worships in a (Vizier approved) pre-Carmanian style. All Carmanians are freehold farmers or better by law, unless they are being punished for some terrible misdeed. Most non-Carmanians are peasants, although some are resident foreigners.

My base assumption is that 60% of the overall population of the Western Reaches are Carmanian, and the rest are non-Carmanian. The population of each satrapy is roughly equal. So...

Bindle:
This Satrapy was not absorbed into the Carmanian Empire until the time of the Bull Shahs. After the fall of Carmania they were independent again until after the Bindler War, when they were added as a satrapy to the Western Reaches. Bindle appears to have been on good terms with their Carmanian neighbors during most of Carmania's history. The Bindlers are historically antagonistic towards the Spolites, and helped Shah Nadar go on his western vengeance crusade. The ruling class of Bindle are/were worshippers of Kereus, elder brother of Bisos - a popular Carmanian deity. So... The Bindlers are probably less
"Carmanian" than average, but not by too much. How does 55% sound? [-5]

Jhor:
The heart of Old Carmania, Jhor is named after the western homeland of the Ten Thousand. It was liberated from the Spolites by Carmanos and his descendants, who then settled down to rule. I would say this means Jhor has a pretty high Carmanian quotient. Say 65%? [+5]

Spol:
The ancient enemy of Carmanos, Spol was conquered by an ascendant Carmania and was probably under heavy military occupation for a long time thereafter. Still, I get the feeling they were never whole-hearted converts to the Word of the Prophet. I see them as a comparatively small Carmanian elite ruling a large non-carmanian underclass. How does 50/50 sound? [-10]

Worian:
When the Ten Thousand arrived in Pelanda, this is where they came first. Brinnus, the city of the Magi, is in Worian and it is here that Carmanos returned from Castle Blue with the Book of Two. After winning a contest with Bisos, Carmanos adopted the Bull God's myths to defeat the Emperor of Spol. Thereafter, Bisos is said to be the Right Hand of Idovanus. Later, the Bull Shahs came from here (Vanstal, specifically) and ruled the Carmanian Empire for a hundred years. When Carmania fell, the Blood Kings War was mostly fought in Worian and the last heir to the throne died there. Since Bisos is the predominant god here, and Bisos has been a favored Carmanian deity pretty much from day one, I figure that there are actually more "Carmanians" in Worian than anywhere else. Say 70% [+10]

Comments?

~Kevin McD