Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: Mailing lists

From: Ian Leake <mail_at_ianleake.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:45:48 +0100

Graham Robinson wrote:

> I'm really puzzled by comments like this. What exactly makes it "far too > awkward"?

Please don't take my comments personally - they are in no way meant to be a personal attack on you or the work you do for the community.

I know there are very good reasons for the format, but it doesn't work for me.

The main reason I dislike the format is that I find it difficult to find the meat. For example, the last digest had 397 lines of which about 150 were new material: the rest was headers, blank space, previous posts, etc. Now I know that this is important contextual information, but to my eyes it is noise which conceals the new information. In a short email my brain filters all that noise out for me but I find it much harder in the GD single mail format. I also find it difficult to jump from the "Today's Topics" list to the specific email (I guess I've been spoiled by hyperlinks). Perhaps other people who are more used to this format don't have a problem, but I do. I know I could get a piece of software to un- digest the digest but I don't want to do this for just one group.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with the once per day timing - if I could easily find the content and easily respond then once per day would be fine. In fact it would probably help me organise my day...

And I wrote:

>> In the long term I am sure that natural selection will resolve the
>> precise
>> nature of the Glorantha/HeroQuest groups.

And Graham replied:

> True. I know that today's posts from certain people have made me very
> tempted to stop spending my time, effort, and money running a mailing
> list for the community.

I hope that my comments haven't caused too much frustration for you - that was certanly not my intent. I realise that moderating a group is not a trivial task and I applaud your commitment to this. But on the positive side, at least a lively discussion implies that there are plenty of people who really care about Glorantha.

Best regards,

Ian.

--
Ian Leake, www.ianleake.net